Description - Counselling and Therapy with Refugees and Victims of Trauma by Guus van der Veer
The first edition of this book was acclaimed as a practical, insightful and humane guide for professionals in mental health, social work and voluntary and government agencies who are concerned with the care of refugees and other victims of political and military violence. These professionals can develop feelings of irritation, disappointment and hopelessness when their work seems not to have the expected result. Successful counselling and therapy require empathy with such victims of traumatic events. But empathy must be based on, and combined with, expertise and knowledge that is both scientific and research-based, and focused on the special needs of these victims. This book is written from the first-hand experience of a world expert in this field, and provides
* A practical guide to clinical work with adult, child and adolescent victims
* A conceptual framework which places treatment in the context of the main therapeutic approaches
* A review of the research evidence that supports these methods of assessment and treatment
* Many clinical examples and a full consideration of the special problems of communication across cultures and language barriers
* Recognition of the special problems for professionals and volunteers dealing with these clients
This new edition reflects the latest scientific and clinical work and knowledge, and will be essential for mental health professionals as well as for a wider readership of social, legal and administrative professionals who are concerned with the wellbeing of these victims. "A supremely accessible, comprehensive text on the effects of detention, torture, rape, exile, and culture shock, and how to understand and effectively help victims. It is also a vivid insight into traumatization and transgenerational suffering, and into transcultural and transtheoretical therapy. Harrowing yet timely, essential reading for frontline therapists and counsellors." Colin Feltham, PhD, Sheffield Hallam University.
Buy Counselling and Therapy with Refugees and Victims of Trauma by Guus van der Veer from Australia's Online Independent Bookstore, BooksDirect.
A Preview for this title is currently not available.