Description - Violence in Gay and Lesbian Domestic Partnerships by Claire M Renzetti
Violence in Gay and Lesbian Domestic Partnerships provides a comprehensive analysis of same-sex domestic violence, addressing the major theoretical and treatment issues for both its victims and perpetrators. Its contents raise awareness among social service providers, of the problem of same-sex domestic violence and emphasize the need for special services for both victims and perpetrators. The publication of Violence in Gay and Lesbian Domestic Partnerships signifies the growing official recognition of domestic violence within lesbian and gay relationships as a social problem worthy of serious attention and intervention.Editors Renzetti and Miley begin by providing readers with an overview of the problem of same-sex domestic violence and the responses of the domestic violence movement and other social service providers. Chapters then move to discussions of the current scarcity of services available to lesbian and gay victims and perpetrators of domestic violence and then evaluate specific treatment modalities for these client groups. Significantly, the special needs of lesbians and gays of color and those with HIV/AIDS are discussed. Chapters contain:
- an historical overview of the study of same-sex domestic violence
- a review and evaluation of theoretical explanations of same-sex domestic violence
- an analysis of major problems in service provisions to gay and lesbian victims of domestic violence
- suggestions for and evaluations of specific treatment modalities
- an analysis of how racism intersects with homophobia to exacerbate the consequences of domestic violence
- an analysis of the role of HIV/AIDS in same-sex domestic violenceContributors to this volume were actively addressing the problem of same-sex domestic violence before it was officially "discovered." Some were motivated by their experiences as victims and survivors of same-sex domestic violence, others by their concern about domestic violence in general. As a compilation of the writings of academics, clinicians, advocates, and activists, Violence in Gay and Lesbian Domestic Partnerships bridges disciplinary and occupational boundaries and promotes a dialogue across fields and specialties.Violence in Gay and Lesbian Domestic Partnerships is unique in that it is the only book available which comprehensively addresses the social service needs of gay and lesbian domestic violence victims and perpetrators. Specific suggestions are offered for improving service providers' responses to gay and lesbian victims of domestic violence. Social workers, counselors, practitioners and clinicians will find it especially useful, given that it addresses the effectiveness of particular treatment modalities for lesbian and gay victims and perpetrators.
Buy Violence in Gay and Lesbian Domestic Partnerships by Claire M Renzetti from Australia's Online Independent Bookstore, BooksDirect.
Other Editions - Violence in Gay and Lesbian Domestic Partnerships by Claire M Renzetti
A Preview for this title is currently not available.